(Later, Spring Grove Hospital Center)
November 11, 1813
The judicious arrangements made by the Mayor and City Council for improving and enlarging the Baltimore Hospital, the liberality of the Legislature of Maryland, and the unwearied attention and active exertions of the Doctors Mackenzie and Smyth, the attending Physicians of the Institution, have, together, brought this establishment to a much greater degree of perfection, than could, under all circumstances that existed at the commencement of the undertaking, have been expected.
The visitors appointed by the Mayor and City Council having met at the Hospital this day, and having viewed the premises and examined the accommodations prepared for the sick, and having also received from Doctors Mackenzie and Smyth, information of the mode by which the affairs of the Institution are conducted, are induced, to express their entire approbation of the plan and execution thereof, so far as the same has been effected, and they cannot refrain from expressing their hope that the future exertions of the visitors and attending Physicians aided by the liberality of a generous public, will hereafter enable them to complete the buildings to the extent which they have proposed. In its present state, the house affords sufficient accommodations for a large number of patients and supercedes the necessity of sending to a distance these unhappy persons, who, in consequence of the loss of their reason, or from partial insanity, require rooms especially fitted for their reception. The apartments in the Asylum appropriated for this purpose, as well as those in the Infirmary for patients of other descriptions, are, in the opinion of the visitors, admirably adapted for their intended uses, and the comfortable situation of upwards of sixty patients now in the Hospital, affords, in anticipation, a prospect of the great advantages which may result to the neighboring states and to the state of Maryland, particularly from its further enlargement.
The immediate management of the establishment is entrusted to a careful Steward and Matron, whose deportment has been highly satisfactory to the visitors; attentive nurses are provided to take care of the sick, and these with the daily attendance of one or both the physicians, and the arrangements for other medical aid when necessary give this highly valuable Institution a just claim to public confidence and support, and to aid in the charitable objects which may be en[?] thereon, the visitors have adopted the following resolutions:
Resolved, That a gate keeper be appointed whose duty it shall be to give constant attendance at the gate, to admit persons desirous of viewing the Hospital, and that he be authorized to demand and receive twelve and a half cents for each person thus admitted.
Resolved, That a contribution box be placed in the hall of the Hospital, for receiving donations from those charitable persons who may visit the same.
Resolved, That an accurate account of the monies received at the gate shall be kept by the Steward and after paying the gate-keeper his salary, the balance shall be paid quarterly into the hands of the treasurer; at the same time also, the contribution box shall be opened in the presence of at least three of the visitors, and the money contained therein shall be delivered to the [?] and the sums thus collected together with any other donations which may be received, shall be appropriated to the support of such sick or insane persons as may be entitled, from their poverty, to the benefits of this charity, and who shall be approved of by the board of visitors.
Resolved, That a treasurer be annually appointed by the visitors to receive the sums collected for charitable purposes, and pay the same then required by an order signed by any three of the Board and that at the expiration of the time for which he was chosen, an account shall be rendered of the receipts and expenditures, and the same published in one or more of the newspapers of this city. By order of the Board of Visitors,
Source: Baltimore Whig, November 13, 1813
|Mr. Smith, of Maryland, also presented a petition of Collin
Mackenzie and James Smyth, on behalf of the Baltimore hospital
establishment, praying compensation for damages committed on the property
of said hospital by the troops in the service of the United States in the
fall of the year 1814.